SETS is the Spanish Society of Blood Transfusion and Cell Therapy.
The main goal of SETS is to promote knowledge, improve practice and lead improvement in blood donation, blood transfusion, tissue banking and cellular therapy.
SETS is a non profit organization.
A Board of Directors governs the Society. Its members are elected for a four years period.
Resolutions which apply to the society general gobernance must be approved at the Annual Assembly.
The following SETS Board is ratified by telematic vote held during the 31st SETS Congress and communicated at the virtual Assembly held on June 19, 2021, for the period between 2021-2025.
- President: Dr. Luis Larrea González
- Vice President: Dr. José María García Gala
- Secretary: Dr. Fernando Puente Mangirón
- Treasurer: Dr. Sabin Urcelay Uranga
- Members: Mª Alba Bosch Llobet; Jesus Alejo Garcia Bautista; Maria Teresa Jimenez Marco; Mercedes Lopez Soques; Maria Paz Martin Hernandez; Natalia Perez Castro
WHO ARE SETS MEMBERS
- SETS is an inter-professional organization whose member´s profile is representd by physicians specialized in Blood Banking, Tissue Banking, Cellular Therapy; Nurses, Technologists, Managers, Donors recruitment staff; and Industry partners.
- Althoug SETS is a Spanish Society, professionals for any country are welcome.
- Its membership is made up by nearly 600 professionals from more than ten nationalities.
SETS ANNUAL MEETING
The annual meeting programme covers a wide range of topics organized in:
- Educational Programme
- Plenary Session
- Satellite Symposiums
- Industry Exhibition
- Social Programme
SETS delivers Online Digital Bulletin which keeps members informed about association activities and presents up to date interesting items in the transfusion field.
GUIDELINES AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
- Guideline for Blood Components and plasma derivatives transfusion. Its fifth edition was published in 2015.
- Guideline for Blood Administration. Its first edition released in 2015.
- Standards for Accreditation in Blood Transfusion. Its fourth edition has been published in 2013. CAT Publication.
- Standards for obtaining, processing, storing and shipping umbilical cord stem cells. Its third edition was published in 2007. CAT Publication.
SETS Working Groups are specially committed to the study of a particular field:
- Donors Recruitment
- Nursing Care
- Transfusion Transmitted Diseases
- Rare Phenotype Donors
- Donation: Specialized Physician Group
- Processing of blood components
- Choosing wisely in Transfusion Medicine
SETS´S WEB SITE
- SETS web site provides a broad range of organized information aimed at the society member and no members. There are a lot of free accessible resources as well as a private members area.
- The web site has an on-line learning platform: FormaSETS.
- An on line store SETS-Store
QUALITY ACCREDITATION AND IMMUNOHEMATOLOGY EXTERNAL CONTROL PROGRAMME
- SETS is a member of CAT (Transfusion Accreditation Committee) an independent Organization qualified for Auditing and Quality Certification.
- CAT publishes Quality Standards (see Guidelines and other publications), beyond regulatory requirements. Many Blood Centres and Hospital Blood Banks in Spain have achieved CAT Certification.
- SETS provides an manages an external quality control programme in immunohematology techniques.
SETS has a representation in, or close relationship with other National o International Organizations o Institutions:
- ISBT (128 Code Commission)
- National Transplant Organization
- Scientific Committee for National Blood Security
AWARDS AND GRANTS
- Professor Ricardo Castillo Memorial Award was instituted to honour the memory of R. Castillo, a pioneer of Blood Transfusion in Spain. The recipients are professionals, who have an international reputation and have remarkably contributed to development of Transfusion Medicine.
- Annual Congress Prizes: Awarded to the best papers presented every year in several fields.
- Grants: SETS provides grant funds to support projects for Transfusion Medicine improvement or development.